Van Marwijk wants Uruguay`s passion in Dutch team
Cape Town: Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk believes Uruguay`s passionate approach should serve as an example for his team when the sides meet on Tuesday in the first World Cup semi-final at the Green Point Stadium.
Van Marwijk revealed on Monday that before one of the first Dutch matches of this campaign he had used the South Americans as an example of how to play matches at this level.
"If you see their passion it could serve as an example for us," the coach told a news conference.
"You always have to go on your own strength and stay close to your own football culture but there are always things you can learn from other teams."
The coach added that reaching the semi-final at a World Cup is already a great achievement for a small country like the Netherlands but that they are not satisfied yet.
The Dutch have been on a mission since Van Marwijk took over from Marco van Basten in July 2008 to win the World Cup and their key player on the pitch so far at this tournament is without doubt Dirk Kuyt.
Kuyt featured during the qualification campaign as a central striker, started the first three matches on the right flank but moved to the left to make way for Arjen Robben.
"I saw in some article that (former Liverpool manager Rafael) Benitez once said that when he writes his lineup, Kuyt is the first name he puts down," said van Marwijk.
"For me that is the same, he had a poor spell when Liverpool also struggled last season but for us Dirk is so important.”
"With his enthusiasm and effort he often gives the right signal in a match and it also is infectious."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore