Van Persie accuses Adebayor of "malicious" stamp
London: Arsenal forward Robin van Persie accused former strike partner Emmanuel Adebayor of a "mindless and malicious stamp" during Manchester City`s 4-2 win over the London club at Eastlands on Saturday.
"I am sad and disappointed by...Adebayor`s mindless and malicious stamp on me..." the Netherlands striker said in a statement on Arsenal`s official website after the match.
"We are both professional footballers and I know that the game is physical, I too have made hard and sometimes mistimed challenges but never with the intention of hurting an opponent.
"He set out to hurt me today. He has shown a real lack of class," the 26-year-old added.
After the match Adebayor said there was no intent on his part to hurt his opponent and that any contact had been accidental.
"I did not have time to take back my feet," the Togo international said. "Because I was trying to kick the ball my feet touched his head. At the end of the game I told him I`m very sorry."
Adebayor also apologised for running the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the visiting Arsenal fans the goal he scored in City`s victory.
That earned him a booking and he said: "I shouldn`t have done what I did but the emotion took over me and I`m sorry for what I`ve done."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof