Van Persie accuses Adebayor of "malicious" stamp
London: Arsenal forward Robin van Persie accused former strike partner Emmanuel Adebayor of a "mindless and malicious stamp" during Manchester City`s 4-2 win over the London club at Eastlands on Saturday.
"I am sad and disappointed by...Adebayor`s mindless and malicious stamp on me..." the Netherlands striker said in a statement on Arsenal`s official website after the match.
"We are both professional footballers and I know that the game is physical, I too have made hard and sometimes mistimed challenges but never with the intention of hurting an opponent.
"He set out to hurt me today. He has shown a real lack of class," the 26-year-old added.
After the match Adebayor said there was no intent on his part to hurt his opponent and that any contact had been accidental.
"I did not have time to take back my feet," the Togo international said. "Because I was trying to kick the ball my feet touched his head. At the end of the game I told him I`m very sorry."
Adebayor also apologised for running the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the visiting Arsenal fans the goal he scored in City`s victory.
That earned him a booking and he said: "I shouldn`t have done what I did but the emotion took over me and I`m sorry for what I`ve done."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Donald Trump tweets video, accuses Hillary Clinton of telling many lies on emails
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurates first phase of SAUNI project in Jamnagar
- Here are some tips to style yourself in a Boho outfit
- It is inexcusable that Leander Paes reached Rio a day before doubles match: Mahesh Bhupathi
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow