Van Persie succeeds Fabregas as Arsenal captain
London: Robin van Persie succeeded Cesc Fabregas as Arsenal`s captain on Tuesday but will not lead the team out against Udinese in the first leg of their Champions League playoff because he is suspended.
The 28-year-old Dutch forward misses the first leg of the play-off against Serie A side Udinese at the Emirates Stadium later on Tuesday as he is serving a one-match ban after being sent off against Barcelona in last season`s Champions League round-of-16 tie.
He will have to wait until Saturday, when Arsenal play Liverpool at the Emirates, for the armband passed to him following Fabregas`s departure to Barcelona on Monday.
Van Persie, who has been at Arsenal for seven years, told the club`s website: "As captain you are an ambassador for the Club and I`m ready for that.”
"I`ve been in the game now for more than 10 years, so I know how this world works. When I was 18 I didn`t have a clue...but now I feel experienced, so I feel ready for this."
As well as Van Persie sitting out the match, manager Arsene Wenger is serving a one-match touchline ban for comments he made to referee Massimo Busacca following Van Persie`s dismissal against Barcelona last March.
Samir Nasri, who could be leaving the club this week for Manchester City and who criticised Arsenal`s fans for being "disrespectful" to him during Saturday`s match at Newcastle, is also suspended and misses the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?