Vanendert wins stage, Voeckler keeps Tour lead
Plateau De Beille (France): Belgian Jelle Vanendert took advantage of the waiting game by the main contenders to snatch victory in the 168.5-km 14th stage of the Tour de France from St Gaudens on Saturday.
He parted from the leading group with 7 km to go and crossed the line on his own at the top of Plateau de Beille, avenging his second place in Luz-Ardiden two days earlier.
Spain`s Samuel Sanchez, who had beaten Vanendert in the 12th stage, finished 21 seconds behind.
Luxembourg`s Andy Schleck sprinted to the line in the final stretch to take third place, 46 seconds off the pace, but only two seconds ahead of the other big names who finished together.
Frenchman Thomas Voeckler also seized his chance to retain the overall leader`s yellow jersey, unexpectedly putting in as strong a showing in the final climb as the pre-Tour favourites.
The Frenchman even attacked in the finale, showing he had the means to keep the Tour lead much longer than expected.
In the final climb to the ski resort of Luz-Ardiden, Andy Schleck, the Tour runner-up for the past two years, and Italy`s Ivan Basso, second in 2005, were the most aggressive but their repeated attacks failed.
Three-times Tour champion Alberto Contador finished in the same group as his main rivals but appeared unable to raise the tempo and attack to make up for the four minutes he lost at the beginning of the race.
"I recover better and better. It would have been better to be able to win. I don`t like to race like that, it`s not my style. I will try to gain some time in the Alps," said the Spaniard, hampered by a knee injury for the past week.
Andy Schleck`s brother Frank summed up the general disappointment when he said: "We tried to race but the others just looked at each other."
Voeckler will take his 1:49 race lead over Frank Schleck and his 2:26 advantage over Australian Cadel Evans into Saturday`s 193-km flat stage to Montpellier and probably up to the Alps next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter