Verdict does not justify demolition: PC
Chidambaram has advised media to refrain from misinterpreting the Allahabad HC`s verdict.
New Delhi: A day after the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court pronounced its verdict on the Ayodhya title suit case, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday praised the nation for showing restraint and remaining calm.
“We are pleased and satisfied with the response of people which has been respectful and dignified," he said quoting the words of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who made an appeal to the people to maintain calm in the wake of the verdict.”
Chidambaram, while briefing media about his Ministry’s performance during the last month said, “The judgment is indeed an important document. But it
is not operational. It is a fair assumption that appeals may be lodged (in Supreme Court). It is a fair assumption that the Supreme Court will pass interim orders. Therefore, there is no need now to comment on the judgment which is not operational and status quo as decreed in a Supreme Court order in 1994 will be maintained."
The Home Minister even advised media to refrain from misinterpreting the Allahabad High courts judgment, which he said, will not be operational and status quo will be maintained.
To a question whether the judgment dilutes the case relating to the demolition of Babri Masjid, he said this judgment has nothing to do with the act took place December
"That act was completely unacceptable and it was an act done by people who took law and order into their hands. That remains, in my view, a criminal act. Also, please don`t
attribute to the judges (of the Lucknow Bench) any attempt to justify what was done in 1992," he said.
When questioned why Congress party has given a cautious response to the Ayodhya verdict, the Home Minister said, “We are not apprehensive. We are just doing our job and our job is to maintain law and order across the country and ensure peace and harmony that’s what we are doing. There is no role for the Centre now. The judges have
given a stay and ordered a status quo (on the situation as obtaining) before the verdict. The judgment is not operational as of now.”
Shifting focus to other issues, Chidambaram said, “Elaborate security arrangements have been put in place for assuring full safety and security of those who have bought tickets, invitees, athletes and all others”
He also ruled out any terror threat to the mega sporting event.
Giving an account of the Maoists activities in the most-affected states, Chidambaram said, “Maoists `kangaroo courts` have increased to 48 till August this year from last year`s 38. They have executed 21 people this year compared to 11 last year.”
“Right-thinking people should condemn these `kangaroo courts` and brutal executions by Maoists which has escaped the attention of nation and media.”
Chidambaram’s statement comes a day after no untoward incident was reported from any part as the nation remained calm with tens of thousands of security personnel kept a hawk`s vigil.
Massive Security drill in sensitive areas across the country will continue for a few more days to thwart any law and order problem with authorities saying it will not be relaxed for now.
Thousands of potential trouble makers and anti-social elements were also rounded up as a preventive measure in several parts of the country. Since security was tight, there was no report of any celebration or protests from any part of the country.
Life was normal at the twin cities of Faizabad and Ayodhya--epicenter of the Ramjanambhoomi-Babri Masjid dispute--in Uttar Pradesh with people carrying on with their routine chores amid reports there was a spirit of bonhomie among all sections of people.