Vettel fastest in final British GP practice
Silverstone: World champion Sebastian Vettel lapped fastest in final British Grand Prix practice Saturday while Red Bull team bosses spent most of the session arguing with officials over yet another rule revision.
After rain washed out much of Friday`s running, the German made the most of drier conditions to set a best time of one minute 31.401 seconds.
Ferrari`s double world champion Fernando Alonso was second on the timesheets, 0.063 slower, with Red Bull`s Australian Mark Webber -- last year`s race winner -- in third place.
McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton was 13th and team mate Jenson Button, who has never stood on his home podium as an F1 driver, sixth.
At the slow end, Australian debutant Daniel Ricciardo lapped faster than Italian team mate Vitantonio Liuzzi in the Hispania.
Vettel will be chasing his third successive British Grand Prix pole in qualifying later Saturday and his eighth in nine races this year.
The Red Bull`s continuing speed was some consolation for team boss Christian Horner, who spent the best part of an hour with technical head Adrian Newey locked in talks with race director Charlie Whiting.
The meeting followed yet another directive from the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) about the engine regulations and sent to all the teams Saturday morning.
In it, according to a copy pinned on the notice board next to race control, the FIA effectively backtracked on one sent out the previous day which had drawn complaints from Mercedes-powered McLaren.
Horner and Newey refused to comment after the meeting, leaving stony-faced and stalking back down the paddock to the Red Bull garages.
The FIA is clamping down on the use of exhaust gases for performance gain through engine maps that keep the throttle open even when a driver is braking to ensure a steady flow through the rear of the car.
Friday`s directive had allowed Renault to keep the engine throttle 50 percent open, on grounds of reliability, while Mercedes were allowed to retain other characteristics of their engine.
However, sources said the FIA had decided Saturday to revert to a previous position and reduce Renault`s allowance to 10 percent at 12,000 revs and 20 percent at the maximum 18,000 revs.
The French manufacturer also supplies Renault and Team Lotus as well as Red Bull.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened