Vettel refuses to get carried away by fast start
Melbourne: A coy Sebastian Vettel was determined not to get carried away with a blistering start to his world title defence at the Australian Grand Prix.
Despite blowing away his rivals in qualifying and then claiming a pole-to-chequered flag victory for Red Bull, the 23-year-old said he was most delighted to get his first finish at Albert Park in four attempts.
"I don`t really like the word dominant at this stage," the German told reporters.
"Yesterday (Saturday), was a very good day for us and the gap was good to Lewis (Hamilton) and McLaren. Nevertheless, I keep telling the team, it is a long, long season.”
"We had a very good race today, won a lot of points, and enjoyed ourselves, which is even more important, and now we have to take it step-by-step.”
"It will be very close, but the most important thing is to finish. The car was quick from the very first moment but also very reliable."
Vettel`s pace was all the more impressive given team boss Christian Horner decided not to use the KERS system, which provides a boost of power to the driver at the push of a button, because of reliability problems.
Initially refusing to discuss the issue, Vettel finally opened up when he was told that Horner had let the secret out of the bag.
"He could have told me first, I was pushing the button all race and there was nothing there," he joked.
"It`s something we`re not proud of and we should have a solution for Malaysia," he added, referring to the second round of the championship on April 10.
"You can`t rely on just having a good car, and everything running smoothly, you want every single bit that you can get to make your car go quicker.
"KERS is one of the basic things this year and clearly there is a performance benefit from it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'