Vettel storms back to take Hungary pole
Budapest: Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel roared back to form with pole position at the Hungarian Grand Prix on Saturday after his Red Bull mechanics worked through the night to get his car up to speed.
The German had failed to win the last two races but made sure Red Bull snapped up their 11th pole in 11 races this season, and 12th in a row, with his eighth of the campaign and 23rd of his career.
Australian team mate Mark Webber, second in the championship but a massive 77 points behind Vettel, qualified down in sixth place.
"I felt much more comfortable this morning," Vettel said. "I`m very pleased with the result, we changed a lot on the car overnight. The boys were working pretty hard and didn`t get much sleep. I`ve got the confidence back."
The German made his trademark single finger gesture in front of the cameras after stepping out of the car to indicate he was still number one but McLaren`s Jenson Button, who qualified third behind team mate Lewis Hamilton, was not impressed.
"He said that he wants to bite my finger off," Vettel laughed.
Button replied: "He put it up and I almost grabbed it. I was going for it but couldn`t get there in time."
Hamilton, who won in Germany last Sunday when Red Bull`s dominance from the first half of the season continued to ebb away, was quickest early on in the final session but had to settle for second on the grid after Vettel`s flying last lap.
"Still I think it is a great achieivement for us. Today they seemed to pick up a bit of pace," said the Briton, third in the standings and twice a winner at the Hungaroring where Vettel has never prevailed.
Button was pleased with third on the grid for his 200th grand prix after recent woes but double world champion Fernando Alonso could only manage fifth for Ferrari behind team mate Felipe Massa.
Spaniard Alonso, who was 30 on Friday, appeared to be heading for pole on his final lap but again lost time in the final sector as he feared. It was the first time this year that Massa had outqualified the Spaniard.
"It seems that when it is time for Q3, Red Bull has a magic button that suddenly makes them go faster, but then it seems the button switches off in the race," Alonso said.
Vettel also took pole in Budapest last year, when Webber won, but Red Bull had not been sounding confident in the run-up to this race after their recent mini-blip.
As fans filled the stands on the steep grassy bank next to the home straight, the usual suspects were knocked out in Q1 while Sergio Perez surprisingly beat Sauber team mate Kamui Kobayashi in the second session and then qualified 10th.
Seven-times champion Michael Schumacher was just ahead of the Mexican rookie as Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg again outqualified his German compatriot by taking seventh on the grid.
The sun had shone for the day`s final practice where Vettel topped the timesheets. However the overcast conditions from Friday, when Hamilton was twice quickest, returned during qualifying.
The forecast for Sunday`s race is mixed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in