Vettel tops final German practice
Nuerburgring (Germany): Red Bull`s Sebastian Vettel set the fastest lap in final practice on Saturday for the German Formula One Grand Prix as the rain just about held off.
The world champion sped round his home track in 1minute 30.916 seconds very late in the session to snatch the initiative from team mate Mark Webber and Ferrari`s Fernando Alonso.
India`s Karun Chandhok, picked to replace Jarno Trulli this weekend, sent smoke flying from his Team Lotus at the end of practice and had to abandon the car.
Dark clouds hung over the traditionally wet Nuerburgring and could cause problems with qualifying for Sunday`s race at 1200 GMT if the heavens open.
Spain`s Alonso, who won the last race at Silverstone, was quickest in first practice on Friday and has said the resurgent Italian team had to go for broke if they were to have any chance of getting back into the title reckoning.
Friday`s second session saw Australian Webber fastest with championship leader Vettel, 80 points clear with nine out of 19 races gone, saying he was not 100 percent happy with his car.
Any glitches appeared to have been fixed on Saturday as he zoomed past his adoring fans in the galleries.
Tyre suppliers Pirelli reckon drivers could opt to change tyres very late in Sunday`s race given the dynamics of the circuit and the weather.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan