Victims of 2008 Mulund rioting case demand Nikam as prosecutor
Mumbai: Victims of the 2008 rioting case of suburban Mulund have demanded that the state government appoint Ujjwal Nikam as the special prosecutor to conduct the trial.
Tempers had run high after a person - Balkar Singh was
killed and two others injured by the bodyguards of Dera Sachha
Sauda chief Baba Ram Rahim in June 2008 outside a mall in
In retaliation, thousands of Sikhs poured into the
streets of the north-eastern suburb blocking road traffic on
the Eastern Express Highway and clashing with the riot police,
demanding action against the Dera chief and his men.
"A proposal to appoint Nikam as the special prosecutor
in the case has been sent to the government and it is under
consideration," said advocate Satish Maneshinde, who appears
for the complainant.
Nikam was, however, unavailable for comments.
Nikam is currently representing the state in the 26/11
terror attack case and has handled several sensational cases
in the past such as the 1993 serial blasts case and the
Khairlanji Dalit massacre case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145