Victory in Gujarat is of ‘brand Modi’ not BJP: Yeddyurappa
Bangalore: Karnataka’s former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa on Thursday said that the victory of Chief Minister Narendra Modi in Gujarat is not the victory of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
“The victory of Modi in Gujarat is not the victory of BJP, it is the victory of brand,” Yeddyurappa was quoted as saying by Firstpost.
The Karnataka Janata Party (KJP) president added: “The party should be called Modi`s regional party as the victory is Modi`s personal victory.”
The Lingayat strongman, who strained his ties with the BJP earlier this year, commented that the impact of the BJP could be gauged through the result of Himachal Pradesh, where the Congress that was poised to comfortably win 36 seats in the 68-member Assembly.
The score was one all in the crucial battle for political stakes on Thursday with the Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) Narendra Modi poised for a hat-trick of wins in Gujarat and the Congress wresting power in Himachal Pradesh.
In Gujarat, the BJP was headed for a win in 116 seats, just short of the 117 it won in 2007. The Congress appeared to have improved its tally marginally from 59 last time to 60 this time.
In the hill state of Himachal Pradesh, the BJP`s Prem Kumar Dhumal government prepared to exit office. The BJP, which had got 41 seats in 2007, was down to 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH