Video referral system to continue in hockey’s Champions Trophy
New Delhi: The mixed reviews it has got so far notwithstanding, the International Hockey Federation will continue using the video referral system in both the men’s and women’s Champions Trophy to be held next month in England and Germany respectively.
The men’s event is scheduled in Nottingham from July 10 to 18 and the women’s event will be held in Monchengladbach from July 31 to August 8.
The FIH has used the system at all of its main tournaments, including the Olympic Games, since the Champions Trophy in 2006.
Variations to tournament regulations were tested as experimental rules during the World Cup held in New Delhi in March.
The video umpire will judge the cases referred to him under the referral system by the match Umpires and the teams, according to a statement by FIH Media Communication Manager Arjen Meijer.
“Each team is allowed one team referral during any match (i.e. including any extra time periods and penalty stroke competitions). Team referrals are restricted to decisions within the 23 meter areas relating to the award (or non-award) of goals, penalty strokes and penalty corners. Any team player, on the pitch at the time of the incident, can request a Team Referral,” he said.
In the event that a team referral is upheld, the referring team will retain its right of referral. The award of personal penalty cards may not be the subject of a Team Referral.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan