Vidic faces up to five weeks out with calf injury
Manchester: Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic faces longer on the sidelines than initially expected with manager Alex Ferguson saying on Friday the defender would be out for up to five weeks with a calf injury.
There was better news for fellow centre back Rio Ferdinand, who had been ruled out for six weeks with a hamstring injury but who could now return in time for the Premier League champions` home match against Arsenal on Aug. 28.
Ferdinand and Vidic picked up the injuries in last Sunday`s season-opening 2-1 victory at West Bromwich Albion.
"Vidic has a calf muscle injury which means he will be four to five weeks. It is difficult to say with calves but it is longer than we thought," Ferguson told reporters, referring to original expectations the Serb would be out for two weeks.
"Rio is not as bad as we thought so he could be ready for our game against Arsenal. I don`t think he`ll be ready for Monday but it is amazing how it can change in a few days."
Tottenham Hotspur visit Old Trafford on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- Mulayam, Akhilesh scared of me; not allowing Muslim leaders in SP to speak up, alleges Asaduddin Owaisi