Vienna stun Villa on away goals in Europa playoff
London: Aston Villa missed out on the Europa League after suffering a shock away goals defeat by Rapid Vienna in the final qualifying round.
Trailing 1-0 from the first leg, the English Premier league side won the return 2-1 at Villa Park but it was not enough.
They were awarded two soft penalties in the first half for fouls on Ashley Young. His own weak effort was saved by Helge Payer but fellow England winger James Milner made no mistake shortly afterwards when he fired home from the spot.
Norway striker John Carew put Villa further ahead just after halftime but Nikica Jelavic scored the key goal with 14 minutes left from a rebound despite struggling to control the ball.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video