Vijender courts controversy over national emblem
Chandigarh: Star Indian boxer Vijender Singh, who recently married his software engineer girlfriend from Delhi, has run into a controversy with reports claiming that he had printed the national emblem on the invitation card of his wedding reception.
While the wedding was solemnised in Delhi on Tuesday, the reception was held at his native village in Bhiwani, Haryana, about 300 km from here on Wednesday.
The invitation cards distributed in Bhiwani on behalf of his father Mahipal Singh carried the national emblem, an adaptation from the Sarnath Lion Capital of Asoka with Satyamev Jayate written beneath, a media report said.
When contacted the Olympic bronze-medallist boxer`s brother Manoj said from Bhiwani that it was a minor issue and should not be raked up.
Asked if the emblem had been printed on the invitation card or not, he said, "Yes, emblem has been printed, but it was printed by mistake."
Bhiwani`s Superintendent of Police Ashwin Sainvi said that he had not seen the card but if anybody lodges complaint, police would act according to law.
"We have not received any complaint so far. If we get any complaint, we will act," he said.
The State Emblem of India (Prohibition of improper use) Act, 2005 mentions that no person shall use the emblem for private purpose of any trade, business etc or in the title of any patent, or in any trademark or design, except in such cases and under such conditions as may be prescribed.
The Act also states that no person shall use the emblem or any colourable imitation, thereof, in any manner which tends to create an impression that it relates to the government or that it is an official order of state or central government.
The violation carries a penalty with imprisonment up to two years and fine of Rs 5,000 or both.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in