Vijender courts controversy over national emblem
Chandigarh: Star Indian boxer Vijender Singh, who recently married his software engineer girlfriend from Delhi, has run into a controversy with reports claiming that he had printed the national emblem on the invitation card of his wedding reception.
While the wedding was solemnised in Delhi on Tuesday, the reception was held at his native village in Bhiwani, Haryana, about 300 km from here on Wednesday.
The invitation cards distributed in Bhiwani on behalf of his father Mahipal Singh carried the national emblem, an adaptation from the Sarnath Lion Capital of Asoka with Satyamev Jayate written beneath, a media report said.
When contacted the Olympic bronze-medallist boxer`s brother Manoj said from Bhiwani that it was a minor issue and should not be raked up.
Asked if the emblem had been printed on the invitation card or not, he said, "Yes, emblem has been printed, but it was printed by mistake."
Bhiwani`s Superintendent of Police Ashwin Sainvi said that he had not seen the card but if anybody lodges complaint, police would act according to law.
"We have not received any complaint so far. If we get any complaint, we will act," he said.
The State Emblem of India (Prohibition of improper use) Act, 2005 mentions that no person shall use the emblem for private purpose of any trade, business etc or in the title of any patent, or in any trademark or design, except in such cases and under such conditions as may be prescribed.
The Act also states that no person shall use the emblem or any colourable imitation, thereof, in any manner which tends to create an impression that it relates to the government or that it is an official order of state or central government.
The violation carries a penalty with imprisonment up to two years and fine of Rs 5,000 or both.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information