Vijender Singh: Profile
Born on 29th October 1985 at Kaluwas village in Bhiwani, Haryana, Vijender Singh was inspired to take to Boxing by younger brother Manoj, a boxer himself. Vijender’s early days were spent in his village from where he did his schooling before moving to Bhiwani to get a bachelor’s degree.
Vijender practiced Boxing at the Bhiwani Sports Authority of India where coach Jagdish Singh recognised his talent and encouraged him to take to professional boxing. Vijender went on to compete at the sub-junior nationals where he won a silver medal for two years in succession.
Having won medals in different competitions at the national level, Vijender was picked up to go train and compete at several international level competitions.
Vijender had a dream start to his campaign at the Beijing Olympics, decimating Badou Jack of Gambia 13-2 in the first round. He then went on to beat Angkhan Chomphuphuang of Thailand 13-3 to make it to the quarter-finals.
He continued his dream run in the quarter finals as well when he beat Carlos Gongara to storm into the semis. He is assured of at least a bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics.
At the Athens Olympics in 2004, Vijender competed in the welterweight division but went down to Turkey’s Mustafa Karagollu in a hard fought battle.
Vijender came back strongly at the 2006 Commonwealth Games but failed to make a mark.
Vijender then went up a division to compete in the middleweight category and won a bronze at the Asian Games in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow