Vijender wins bronze at World C`ships
New Delhi: Vijender Singh failed to better the bronze he had ensured for India as he lost 3-7 to Uzbekistan`s Abbos Atoev in the middle weight semifinals of the World Boxing Championships in Milan, Italy on Saturday.
But even in defeat, the top-seeded Indian achieved a historic feat by becoming India`s first medal winner at the mega-event.
Vijender led 1-0 in the opening round but Atoev, a former light heavy weight world champion, staged a brilliant comeback in the next three minutes to blank the Indian 5-0 and take a 5-1 overall lead.
The third and final round ended 2-2 but the slight late recovery was not enough for the world number two to clinch the bout.
"Obviously, I am a disappointed. But I am glad that I managed to break the jinx for India," said the 23-year-old Haryana boxer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?