Villarreal handed Mallorca`s Europa League spot
Madrid: La Liga club Villarreal have been given Real Mallorca`s place in this season`s Europa League pending a Mallorca appeal.
"Villarreal CF this afternoon received official notification from UEFA that certifies classification for the 2010/11 Europa League following the non-admission of Real Mallorca," the club said on their website on Saturday.
Villarreal finished seventh in La Liga last season, two spots behind financially-troubled Mallorca, who were informed of their exclusion from European competition by UEFA on Thursday.
The governing body ruled the Balearic Islands club, who are in administration, had not fulfilled the admission criteria as the requisite licence had not been granted.
Mallorca`s lawyer, Luis Huerta, said in a statement on Saturday an appeal against UEFA`s decision would be lodged on Monday.
Huerta noted that the club`s exclusion from the Europa League would deprive them of revenue needed to pay off their creditors.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India