Villarreal move up to second in Spanish league
Madrid: Villarreal swept into second place in the Spanish first division on Monday with a 3-2 win at Malaga in a game which saw all five goals coming in the first half.
Villarreal had trailed to a fourth-minute goal from Eliseu before Santi Cazorla scored the first of a brace in the 21st minute.
Italian international Giuseppe Rossi then made it 2-1 after 24 minutes before Venezuela striker Salomon Rondon pulled Malaga level, six minutes later.
Cazorla restored Villarreal’s lead in the 33rd minute to end the scoring but not the drama as Portuguese winger Eliseu was sent-off before the break.
Villarreal are a point behind leaders Valencia but ahead of Barcelona on goal difference. Real Madrid are in fourth spot, two points off the lead.
Valencia went top on Saturday after defeating Sporting Gijon 2-0 to make it 13 points from a possible 15.
Barcelona triumphed 3-1 at 10-man Athletic Bilbao to move above Real Madrid who drew 0-0 with Levante.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi