Violent protests in J&K after girl crushed to death by Army vehicle
Srinagar: A seven-year-old girl was crushed
to death by an Army vehicle in Bandipora district in Jammu and
Kashmir on Monday, following which a mob torched two security
vehicles, official sources said.
The girl, Insha Javid, was killed on-the-spot after she
was hit by an Army vehicle while crossing Srinagar-Bandipora
road at Sumbal, about 30 km from here this evening, the
Immediately after the accident, hundreds of people of
Sumbal and adjoining villages took to the streets and blocked
the main road demanding action against the erring driver, they
The sources said the agitated crowd later set ablaze two
Army vehicles reportedly abandoned by the jawans after the
Senior Superintendent of Police (Bandipora) Sheikh Junaid
Ahmad was not immediately available for comment as he had
rushed to the scene along with senior administrative officers
to deal with the situation.
Reinforcements have also been rushed to the area to
restore law and order as the situation was "tense", the
The sources said the Army vehicles were on way to
Bandipora from Sumbal when the accident took place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!