Virgin Mobile, Spice Group bid for 3G franchise deal of MTNL
New Delhi: B K Modi-promoted Spice Group and
British Virgin Mobile have bid for MTNL`s franchise deals to
offer 3G services in Mumbai and Delhi.
"Virgin Mobile and Spice Group have bid for our 3G
franchise deal. We will finalise the bidder(s) in a month,"
Kuldip Singh, Director (Technical), MTNL told agency.
Spice Group, which had sold off its mobile services
business to Idea Cellular, has business interests in telecom,
mobile software and retail stores.
Virgin Mobile, on other hand, is owned by Virgin Group
of the UK. It already has a franchise agreement in India
with Tata Teleservices for providing telecom services under
the Virgin Mobile brand to the youth segment.
MTNL had invited bids in July for a franchise deal to
sell its 3G mobile services on a revenue-sharing basis.
MTNL is seeking a partner with the expertise to help it
kick start its 3G deployments before competitors in private
sector, like Bharti Airtel and Vodafone Essar, can enter the
fray. The government has announced the spectrum auction base
price and the auction is likely to take place soon.
This involves sharing of cost, risk and reward, with the
partner bringing expertise and equipment funding to the table.
"It is apt to emphasise that in accordance with the
advertisement, interested bidders may choose not to
participate in the data room process and are free to submit
technical and financial bids by the deadline of October 2,
2009," the BPE added.
Nigeria is Africa`s biggest telecom market in terms of
investment and subscribers due to its large and fast growing
population. The country`s continued telecom growth is expected
to trigger more intense competition among a growing number of
MTNL is the second telecom operator in Mauritius and is
operating in Nepal through a joint venture, UTL. It was keen
on Sri Lanka Telecom as well but at the moment, the plan is on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now