Virgin Mobile, Spice Group bid for 3G franchise deal of MTNL
New Delhi: B K Modi-promoted Spice Group and
British Virgin Mobile have bid for MTNL`s franchise deals to
offer 3G services in Mumbai and Delhi.
"Virgin Mobile and Spice Group have bid for our 3G
franchise deal. We will finalise the bidder(s) in a month,"
Kuldip Singh, Director (Technical), MTNL told agency.
Spice Group, which had sold off its mobile services
business to Idea Cellular, has business interests in telecom,
mobile software and retail stores.
Virgin Mobile, on other hand, is owned by Virgin Group
of the UK. It already has a franchise agreement in India
with Tata Teleservices for providing telecom services under
the Virgin Mobile brand to the youth segment.
MTNL had invited bids in July for a franchise deal to
sell its 3G mobile services on a revenue-sharing basis.
MTNL is seeking a partner with the expertise to help it
kick start its 3G deployments before competitors in private
sector, like Bharti Airtel and Vodafone Essar, can enter the
fray. The government has announced the spectrum auction base
price and the auction is likely to take place soon.
This involves sharing of cost, risk and reward, with the
partner bringing expertise and equipment funding to the table.
"It is apt to emphasise that in accordance with the
advertisement, interested bidders may choose not to
participate in the data room process and are free to submit
technical and financial bids by the deadline of October 2,
2009," the BPE added.
Nigeria is Africa`s biggest telecom market in terms of
investment and subscribers due to its large and fast growing
population. The country`s continued telecom growth is expected
to trigger more intense competition among a growing number of
MTNL is the second telecom operator in Mauritius and is
operating in Nepal through a joint venture, UTL. It was keen
on Sri Lanka Telecom as well but at the moment, the plan is on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla