Vodafone to introduce Zoozoos in global markets
New Delhi: After acquiring cult status in India, Zoozoos, the black-and-white creatures that made a spectacular debut in telecom operator Vodafone Essar`s ads, are all set to go global.
Vodafone, which operates in more than 30 countries, including India, the UK, Portugal, Australia, Qatar, Egypt, Italy and South Africa, is all geared up to make the lovable characters international, looking to increase its customer base while adding to brand equity as well.
"We had a conference a couple of weeks ago with all our businesses representatives and we actually gave quite a lot of time to what they have been doing here. Yes, we will get Zoozoos to other markets," Vodafone Group Group Chief Financial Officer Andy Halford said.
He, however, declined to comment on the timeline and the countries where the Zoozoos will be introduced in. "They are not yet out. As an international group that is what we do, we will take the best of what is happening in different markets and take it to other markets," Halford said.
The Zoozoos look like animated characters, but they are actual human beings, who were made to wear body suits. The Zoozoos shot to fame within days of launch and today have more than 1.23 lakh fans on social networking site Facebook. Vodafone Essar has over 136 million customers in India.
"They look like the aliens, they speak an alien language. But still people across age groups understand what they say and the brand messaging is very clear. That has helped Zoozoos become such a rage," an industry expert said.
After acquiring Hutchison`s stake in Hutchison Essar in 2007, Vodafone unveiled its re-branding campaign with the endearing pug and a catchline. The pug was later replaced by the Zoozoos in 2009.
The ads were created by Ogilvy & Mather, the agency handling Vodafone advertisements to debut during the Indian Premier League cricket tournament.
Vodafone also received the first People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) 2009 Glitterbox Award, for replacing the Pug with more humane alternatives in their ads. The ads also won two Grand Prix, the top award, at the Creative Abby awards at GoaFest 2010.
The company has also licenced the characters for retail merchandise with Shoppers` Stop to launch ZooZoo merchandise like T-shirts, cups, bed and bath accessories across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in