Voeckler prays to keep yellow jersey in Lourdes
France: It would take a miracle for Thomas Voeckler to lose his lead in the Tour de France in Lourdes after the 152-km 13th stage on Friday, one of the shortest of the race.
The Frenchman, who leads Luxembourg`s Frank Schleck by 1:49 and Australia`s Cadel Evans by 2:06 overall, survived three gruelling climbs in Thursday`s first day in the Pyrenees and the classic Aubisque pass should not cost him the jersey as it is situated more than 40 km from the finish line.
"Everybody believed my Europcar team to be weak but the guys showed all day how strong they were," said Voeckler after finishing behind the favourites in the 12th stage.
The French outfit look solid enough to lead him safely to the finish unless the leading Tour contenders decide to attack before another demanding ride to Plateau de Beille on Saturday.
The Tour de France has stopped only twice in Lourdes and the most famous finish was in 1948 when Italy`s Gino Bartali won the stage.
A very devout man, Bartali, who won the Tour in 1938 and that year, sent a telegram to the Pope after his victory asking for special benediction for himself and his family.
After dinner, he went to the grotto where he kneeled down and prayed for help not to win the race but for protection against crashes.
Doubtless, riders in this Tour could say similar prayers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory