Was Osama body not buried, but flown to US?
London: While former Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden is popularly known to have been given a sea burial, some emails leaked from an intelligence analysis firm have suggested that his body had actually been taken to the US for cremation.
According to the emails, the Al Qaeda chief, shot and killed during the famous Navy Seal Team Six raid on his compound in Pakistan`s Abbottabad city May 2, was transported back to the US and cremated, the Daily Mail reported.
The emails were allegedly obtained by the hacker group Anonymous from Stratfor, an organisation dealing with intelligence and geopolitical analyses.
After Osama was killed in the famous raid in Pakistan May 2, 2011, the Obama administration said his body was buried at sea off the USS Carl Vinson - in accordance with Islamic traditions.
Last week, Anonymous announced that it had got access to 2.7 million of the firm`s confidential correspondences, and said they could provide "the smoking gun for a number of crimes".
The hackers said Stratfor, based in Austin, Texas, were "clueless" when it came to database security.
But in a particular set of emails given to WikiLeaks, the Stratfor`s vice president for intelligence, Fred Burton, says he doubts the official White House version of what happened to Osama`s body.
Burton says the body was "bound for Dover, on a CIA plane" and "onward to the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Bethesda (Maryland)".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report