Water polo venue for London 2012 to get inflatable roof
London: Planners have given London 2012 Olympic organisers permission to build a temporary water polo centre with an inflatable roof.
The silver-coloured venue, next to the striking aquatics centre in the south of the Olympic Park, will have a sloping rippling roof, made of air-inflated recycled PVC cushions.
The lightweight roof will provide extra insulation and reduce condensation, organisers said.
"The Water Polo Arena is a distinctive and dynamic addition to the entrance to the Olympic Park," Olympic Delivery Authority Chief Executive David Higgins said in a statement.
"Its innovative shape and lightweight structure will look great and work well for spectators and athletes alike."
Construction on the asymmetric 5,000-seater venue is due to start next spring and will be finished by the spring of 2012.
Contractors and suppliers have yet to be appointed.
The venue will have a silver PVC membrane covering a steel structure as well as translucent shard-shaped panels. It is due to be dismantled after the Games and moved elsewhere either in full or in part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened