Wawrinka beats Hanescu in three sets to reach last eight
Buenos Aires: Swiss second seed Stanislas Wawrinka was pushed again to three sets before he progressed to the quarter-finals of the Buenos Aires Open on Wednesday.
The world number 15, stretched by Argentine Carlos Berlocq in the first round on Tuesday, beat Romanian veteran Victor Hanescu 6-7, 6-1, 7-6 in the second round of the claycourt tournament.
Wawrinka told a courtside television reporter he did not mind meeting another Argentine in the quarter-finals, former champion Juan Monaco or Eduardo Schwank who were playing last.
Gaining in confidence on a surface he is not comfortable with, the Swiss jokingly allowed himself to look further ahead saying in broken Spanish: "I don`t mind having the crowd against me. The atmosphere will be good on Sunday."
Argentine eighth seed Juan Ignacio Chela and Spanish fourth seed Albert Montanes will meet in another quarter-final.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!