Wawrinka makes short work of Bopanna
Chennai: India`s Rohan Bopanna failed to replicate his stupendous effort in the Davis Cup tie here last September as he went down fighting to third seeded Swiss Stanislaus Wawrinka 4-6, 4-6 in a first round tie at the Aircel Chennai Open on Tuesday.
Wawrinka, ranked 21st in the world and last year`s finalist dominated the proceedings throughout never let the Indian Davis Cupper get into his element.
All that Wawrinka needed was just a break in each sets and he achieved them in the seventh and first game of first and second sets respectively.
Much was expected from Boppanna, who had helped India enter the elite Davis Cup World Group with a 3-2 win in the play-off tie against Brazil on the same court here in September.
But, Bopanna, known for his booming serves, was patchy in holding on to his service games in the match. He seemed to be raising his game by middle of the first set and in the third game, Bopanna managed to save two break points.
However, Wawrinka was solid in his percentage play and made the Indian run from end to end before coming up with winners.
Bopanna paid heavily for deciding to go for the finish too early at times besides errors saw him yielding easy points.
Bopanna, who was a suspect with his first serves, did send down seven aces, five of which in the second set but lost both his break points in the match, while saving three out of five.
Egged on by a good home crowd, Bopanna was trying his best to take a sweat revenge for his last year first round loss at the hands of Wawrinka but the visitor managed to turn the tide in his favour most often with a variety of shots with his potent double handed back hand and forehand cross court winners.
He also made a few breathtaking retrievals and eye catching volleys.
On the other hand, Bopanna, who mainly concentrates on doubles play, was pinned to the baseline and the second set saw the Indian losing the very first game as Wawrinka went on the offensive from then on to clinch the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sacked AAP minister claims threat to his life from Kejriwal and his men
- Massive traffic jam brings Gurugram to a standstill
- Are Indian journalists sympathising with terrorists like Burhan Wani?
- Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh arrested in Bihar
- Mumbai: Man crushed to death after tree falls on car
- Germany legend Bastian Schweinsteiger retires from international football
- Kajal Aggarwal grooves for a special song in 'Janatha Garage'
- Sonakshi Sinha looks kickass in new 'Akira' POSTER! See inside
- FDI inflows jump 53% in last two years, says FM Jaitley
- Don't want to be known as Dalit filmmaker: 'Kabali' director