Ways to generate electricity from pig manure
London: In an analysis, a team of scientists has come up with ways to use pig manure to generate electricity.
A large amount of pig manure created by thousands of animals in giant hog farms can pollute rivers, poison groundwater and pump out clouds of methane and carbon dioxide.
So, finding alternative uses for the slurry - to generate electricity, makes a lot of sense.
The problem was that no one has been certain which way of doing it makes the most electricity for the least greenhouse gas production.
Now, according to a report in New Scientist, a Danish team has analysed the various ways in which firms in that country treat pig manure and use it to generate electricity in systems such as anaerobic digesters or incinerators.
In anaerobic digestion, bacteria break down waste material by warming it in an oxygen-free vessel, releasing methane, which is used in gas turbines.
Incinerators burn material to boil water and drive a steam turbine.
The team, led by Trakarn Prapaspongsa at Aalborg University, found that for high-efficiency energy production, anaerobic digestion is the answer to convert pig poo into ‘green’ power.
But if minimising greenhouse gas emissions takes priority, the best option was to separate the solid from the liquid waste, dry the solids and incinerate them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?