Ways to generate electricity from pig manure
London: In an analysis, a team of scientists has come up with ways to use pig manure to generate electricity.
A large amount of pig manure created by thousands of animals in giant hog farms can pollute rivers, poison groundwater and pump out clouds of methane and carbon dioxide.
So, finding alternative uses for the slurry - to generate electricity, makes a lot of sense.
The problem was that no one has been certain which way of doing it makes the most electricity for the least greenhouse gas production.
Now, according to a report in New Scientist, a Danish team has analysed the various ways in which firms in that country treat pig manure and use it to generate electricity in systems such as anaerobic digesters or incinerators.
In anaerobic digestion, bacteria break down waste material by warming it in an oxygen-free vessel, releasing methane, which is used in gas turbines.
Incinerators burn material to boil water and drive a steam turbine.
The team, led by Trakarn Prapaspongsa at Aalborg University, found that for high-efficiency energy production, anaerobic digestion is the answer to convert pig poo into ‘green’ power.
But if minimising greenhouse gas emissions takes priority, the best option was to separate the solid from the liquid waste, dry the solids and incinerate them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?
- Salman Khan acquitted in black buck poaching cases: Check out mixed reactions on Twitter
- China says South Korea damaged 'mutual trust'
- Susan Rice urges `candour and openness` on Beijing visit
- Would love to star in a Bollywood film: Rick Hoffman
- All is not well between Kareena Kapoor Khan and Deepika Padukone? – Know why