WB celebrates Tagore`s 150th birth anniversary
Santiniketan/Kolkata: West Bengal Monday woke up to the strains of the sweet and deep melodies created by Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore, whose 150th birth anniversary is being celebrated in the state with songs, dances and poems of the bard.
From Kolkata`s Jorasanko, where the poet-philosopher was born, to Santiniketan in Birbhum district, where he created the knowledge town of his dreams, people thronged in hundreds to pay their homage to the genius, whose appeal has remained largely undiminished even after 70 years of his death.
At Shantiniketan, where Tagore founded the Viswa Bharati university in 1921, the festivities began early morning with a "prabhat pheri" (morning choir) that went around the sprawling campus.
The teachers, employees, youths, children were all part of the choir as the knowledge- town wore a festive look.
With Rabindra Sangeet filling the air, the people then assembled at Chatimtala, the spot under a Chatim tree where the poet`s father Debendranath had established an ashram way back in 1863, and took part in "Upasana" - a non-denominational and non-religious prayer.
Born on this day Vaisakha 25 according to Bengali calendar (May 7, 1861, according to the Roman calendar), Tagore in 1913 became the first Asian Nobel laureate and the first non-European to win the prize for literature.
He also holds the distinction of having authored the national anthems of two sovereign nations - India and Bangladesh.
The bard`s rich, diverse and vast literary ouvre is virtually unmatched in the world. He was also a painter and a composer par excellence.
Sangeet Bhavan, the music faculty of the university, organised a programme where the works of the great poet were recited and sung by children.
To mark the occasion, commemorative five-rupee coins were given to all employees of the university.
An exhibition of Tagore`s doodles has also been organised as part of the celebrations.
A piano concert will be staged Tuesday where 30 songs of Tagore will be played by renowned musician Jyotishka Dasgupta.
People from all walks of life queued at Jorasanko Thakurbari in north Kolkata, Tagore`s sprawling ancestral home, since dawn to pay homage and respects to the bard and watch a cultural programme, where famed singers, elocutionists and dancers participated.
The room were Tagore was born was opened for the visitors.
The Rabindra Bharati Museum saw an unusually long line of visitors.
The museum contains more than 700 photographs and paintings of Tagore.
The union ministry of culture has organised an Indo-Bangladesh joint celebration in a city auditorium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!