WB Polls: 84.8% voting in the 6th phase
New Delhi: An estimated 84.8 per cent turnout was recorded during the sixth and last phase of the West Bengal Assembly elections which passed off peacefully, the Election Commission announced on Tuesday.
"The polls were held absolutely peaceful and totally incident free," Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi told reporters at the end of polling.
Asked whether the poll percentage in the state this time was the highest ever, he said it could be termed "maximum" compared to 2006 Assembly and 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
Three helicopters were used and a special observer was deployed over and above general and expenditure observers to ensure peaceful polling in 14 Maoist-hit constituencies spread over three districts, he said.
There was poll boycott in one booth because of local issues, he said.
Asked about reasons for the large turnout, Zutshi said this was because people came out without any fear and reached polling stations to exercise their franchise.
The Commission has also been taking all possible measures ever since the announcement of the poll schedule to instill confidence among the people, he said.
The DEC said one observer will be deployed in each assembly constituency during counting on May 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead