WB Polls: 84.8% voting in the 6th phase
New Delhi: An estimated 84.8 per cent turnout was recorded during the sixth and last phase of the West Bengal Assembly elections which passed off peacefully, the Election Commission announced on Tuesday.
"The polls were held absolutely peaceful and totally incident free," Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi told reporters at the end of polling.
Asked whether the poll percentage in the state this time was the highest ever, he said it could be termed "maximum" compared to 2006 Assembly and 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
Three helicopters were used and a special observer was deployed over and above general and expenditure observers to ensure peaceful polling in 14 Maoist-hit constituencies spread over three districts, he said.
There was poll boycott in one booth because of local issues, he said.
Asked about reasons for the large turnout, Zutshi said this was because people came out without any fear and reached polling stations to exercise their franchise.
The Commission has also been taking all possible measures ever since the announcement of the poll schedule to instill confidence among the people, he said.
The DEC said one observer will be deployed in each assembly constituency during counting on May 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH