`We are aiming to equal Man U’s title record`
London: Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has warned Manchester United that his team will be gunning to equal their title record next season.
Gerrard admits it hurt to see United clinch their 19th league title last month by winning the Premier League, thus eclipsing Liverpool’s long-held record.
“If we were to get back in the top-four next season I think it would be a fantastic achievement. But we will be setting out to win the league because that’s what you do year in and year out at Liverpool,” a leading daily quoted Gerrard, as saying.
“The way that United were playing you knew the 19th was going to come. It did hurt because they are our biggest rivals.”
“We’ve got a good side together. Hopefully, it’ll be strengthened with a few new signings in the next few weeks before we go back. Then we’ll be in a position where we’re competitive next season,” he added.
Liverpool may have finished in sixth place last season, but the appointment of Kenny Dalglish as manager, and the backing from the club’s American owners, has led to a renewed sense of optimism around Anfield going into the new campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'