We didn`t agree to Centre`s `more autonomy` offer: NSCN-IM
Kohima: The NSCN-IM today said it has not
agreed to an offer for more autonomy to Nagas made by the
Centre, whom it criticised for not being sincere in solving
the state`s decades-long problem.
In a statement, the group claimed that the recent
comments by Union Home Secretary G K Pillai were `misleading`
and `a dilution` of the peace process and said the Centre was
not addressing the Naga issue in a sincere manner.
During his recent visit to Manipur, Pillai had
reportedly said the Centre would submit a proposal to NSCN-IM
offering more autonomy to Nagas, but under no circumstances
the territorial integrity of Manipur would be disturbed while
resolving the Naga problem.
He had also said that the autonomy proposals might
require some constitutional amendments, but it was up to
NSCN-IM to accept or not and the proposals would soon be sent
to the Union Cabinet for consideration.
The group said nothing of what Pillai said correlated
to anything that was discussed in the past 12 years between it
and the Centre.
"It is a serious dilution of the factual position of
the peace process," the NSCN-IM said.
Maintaining that no autonomy of any kind was discussed
and understanding reached during over a decade-long peace
talks, the NSCN-IM said such statements from the home
secretary could only be taken as "undermining the talks on the
political issue that was agreed upon at the prime minister
level and never at the home ministry level".
The statement by the NSCN`s information and publicity
wing said at no point of time it had accepted the importance
of the Constitution to form the basis of a Naga solution.
The development comes at a time when the next round of
peace talks between the Centre and the NSCN-IM is likely to be
held in first week of September after a long gap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information