`We have not yet been contacted by UK govt on Teeside plants`
New Delhi: Tata Group on Tuesday said the British government has not yet contacted it on the possible options to avoid closure of Corus steel plants in Teeside that could result in 1700 jobs losses.
"We haven`t heard anything from the British Government so far. There is some political activity in England to keep it (the plant) going. As far as I know we have not been contacted by the British Government," Tata Sons Director J J Irani told PTI on Tuesday.
Due to mounting losses, last May Tata Steel Europe announced suspension of some of the facilities belonging to Corus` Teeside Cast Products business in northeast England.
Fearing 1,700 people would be jobless, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown on the New Year even promised to talk to Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata as a last ditch effort to the closure.
"Everybody hopes that it will not be shut down but it is matter of market dynamics. We cannot continue losing hundreds of millions of pounds to keep the plants going," Irani said.
Tatas plan to mothball the plant by end of this month. "It will be (re-)started at a future date. The plant is not going to be dismantled or sold or anything like that, it will be mothballed," Irani said.
Tatas in 2007 had acquired Corus for 6.2 billion pounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow