Weather spoils bid to set new record of women in bikinis!
London: A UK bid to set a new world record for the most number of women wearing bikinis in one place is said to have failed, after only 42 of the expected 1,924 turned up for the event.
The disappointing turnout was blamed on the poor weather forecast in Southend-on-Sea, Essex.
Organisers had hoped to enter the record books by getting more than 1,923 women wearing swimwear on the sands of the Essex seaside town, beating the number reached in Russia last year.
But only 42 turned up at the event held to raise money for Southend Hospital’s breast cancer appeal, with the oldest participant being a lady in her 80s.
Debbie Reynolds, 23, said that she thought they would at least break the UK record of 320.
“It was sunny and everything, so we thought we’d get a good turnout, but it was very sad when we realised that 42 was the grand total,” a news daily quoted her as saying.
“It’s pretty rubbish I must admit. We really need to try harder.
“It made be feel pretty embarrassed to be British when we can’t even mount a decent challenge,” she said.
Tracy Jones, who was another participant, also blamed the lack of interest on the weather forecast.
“I don’t think the terrible weather yesterday and forecast today helped,” she said.
“It was a beautiful day but I think a lot of people made up their minds yesterday,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj