Webber beats Vettel to take Spanish Grand Prix pole
Barcelona: Reigning Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel’s run of five consecutive pole positions came to an end when his Red Bull teammate Mark Webber clocked the fastest time during qualifying for Sunday’s Spanish Grand Prix.
Webber, winner of last year’s race, clocked a time of one minute 20.981 at the Circuit de Catalunya, just 0.2 seconds faster than Vettel, the BBC reports.
Webber admitted that he did not feel challeneged by rival teams McLaren and Ferrari, but was delighted to have beaten the reigning champion.
“It was a good battle with Seb, I though we were going to be battling for pole so I just had to make sure I did a good lap and then pray that my time went above Seb’s,” Webber said.
Webber’s seventh pole was his first since the Belgium Grand Prix in August last year.
McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton finished third ahead of Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso and McLaren teammate Jenson Button.
German Nico Rosberg of Mercedes was sixth fastest followed by Brazilian Felipe Massa in the second Ferrari.
Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado managed eighth for Williams while seven times champion Michael Schumacher was ninth fastest in the second Mercedes.
Webber is already 38 points behind Vettel in the championship, so a win on a track at which he dominated in 2010 would be an important boost for his already dwindling title hopes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh