Webber can push Vettel hard at Silverstone
London: Mark Webber made plenty of headlines when he won last year`s British Grand Prix after accusing Red Bull of favouring team mate Sebastian Vettel and a repeat victory would be no less sweet on Sunday.
Just beating the 24-year-old champion for the first time this season would be a turn-up for the Australian.
Vettel`s second title in a row looks inevitable after he chalked up six victories in eight races, starting seven of them from pole position.
Webber, who said last year that his win was `not bad for a number two`, is in a very different situation this time around but team boss Christian Horner is certainly not counting him out.
"Mark`s got a great track record at Silverstone, he`s always been very, very quick there," he told reporters.
"He was quick in British F3, he won the Formula 3000 support race there back in 2000, and he obviously won the British grand prix last year.”
"He was on the front row in 2008 in the wet. It`s a circuit he enjoys and goes very well at. For sure he will be pushing very hard."
The Australian`s problem, and one that is shared by all his rivals including McLaren`s home hopes Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button, is that Vettel`s record at the former World War Two airfield circuit is no less impressive.
The German has been on pole there for two years running and won in 2009. British bookmakers William Hill have him as 4/5 favourite and said this week that he had attracted almost 60 percent of the early money.
Last year he staged a remarkable fight through the field after going from first to last following a clash with Hamilton that led to a puncture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves