Webber leads Red Bull 1-2 in Melbourne GP practice
Melbourne: The Red Bull pair of Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel topped the charts in opening practice ahead of this weekend`s season-opening Australian Formula One Grand Prix in Melbourne.
Webber on Friday thrilled his home fans with a best lap of one minute 26.831 seconds, just 0.327sec ahead of his world champion team-mate Vettel (1:27.158).
The duo confirmed Red Bull`s impressive winter testing ahead of the new season and they held the early pace ahead of Ferrari`s Fernando Alonso.
Webber, who is bidding to win his first home GP at his 10th attempt, reeled off his quickest lap in the last moments of the opening session, staged in cool cloudy conditions on the Albert Park street circuit.
Spaniard Alonso, the two-time world champion, clocked in third-fastest with 1:27.749, some 0.918sec down on Webber`s time.
Alonso, a winner here five years ago with Renault, looks Ferrari`s best hope of winning their seventh Australian GP in the last 12 years.
German Nico Rosberg, a Mercedes team-mate of seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher, was fourth-fastest in 1:28.152 ahead of Brazil`s Rubens Barrichello in a Williams (1:28.430).
Two-time race winner Jenson Button and his McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton were sixth and seventh respectively in opening practice.
Button, bidding for a hattrick of Melbourne victories, had a best lap of 1:28.440 ahead of Hamilton`s 1:28.483.
Schumacher was eighth quickest in 1:28.690, while Alonso`s Brazilian Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa had an eventful session, coming off into the gravel and later wearing out his front right tyre before finishing 11th fastest.
The second free practice session takes place later Friday ahead of Saturday`s qualifying for Sunday`s first race of the season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader