Webber picking up the pace again
Valencia: Mark Webber has sent out a warning to Red Bull`s rivals that he is getting back up to speed after putting in his strongest performance of the year at Red Bull`s weakest track.
The Australian may have finished only third in Sunday`s European Grand Prix but team principal Christian Horner was smiling afterwards.
"It was Mark`s best race of the season in terms of his performance on those tyres," he told reporters. "It`s the closest he has been to Sebastian all season. He drove well this weekend."
Red Bull`s Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel won in Valencia, chalking up his sixth victory in eight races so far, and is now a massive 77 points clear of Webber and McLaren`s Jenson Button.
Button and his team mate Lewis Hamilton are the only drivers to have beaten Vettel this campaign with Webber struggling to match the 23-year-old`s pace on the new Pirelli tyres introduced this year.
A championship leader and contender down to the final race of 2010, Webber has not won a race since Hungary last August.
Valencia, a circuit where the Australian crashed spectacularly last year, suggested Webber was getting on top of the tyre problems and could put Vettel under more pressure in future.
"I hope so," said Horner. "I hope he keeps building up the momentum from this weekend.
"He`s made no secret of the fact he`s struggled more on these tyres than Sebastian. I think he`s understanding them better now.
"If you look at the time difference between the guys during the race he was never more than four or five seconds away for 90 percent of the race, which is the best we`ve seen all year," added Horner.
"He`ll take a lot of confidence out of the weekend."
The next race up is Silverstone in two weeks time, a race Webber won last year after complaining that Vettel was being favoured by the team.
There have been no such public complaints so far this year and Webber, who has had one pole position this year to Vettel`s seven, will be hoping to be even more on his team mate`s tail.
"It was the closest I have been for a while," he said of Sunday. "In qualifying in Canada it was very close between us with the KERS situation but racing is when it counts. But I think I am getting better.
"I learnt a lot today. I was happy with my performance and I will come back better for the next race. “
"I think this is probably our weakest track of the year, maybe, so we didn`t do too badly," he grinned even if for many it was also the dullest race of the season. “
"We have a different regulation from Silverstone onwards and we expect that we can still be pretty competitive again. If we can keep Valencia as one of our weakest, definitely our top three weakest tracks,... we should go OK on the other ones."
Formula One`s governing body is clamping down on teams` use of engine electronics to control the flow of exhaust gases and give a performance advantage even when a driver lifts off the throttle.
Some rivals had hoped Red Bull would be hit more than others but Valencia suggested that would be far from the case.
"Historically we prefer tracks with high speed corners so Silverstone coming up should be a good one for us," said Vettel.
"Now the rules change slightly. It`s the same for everyone, so if we are not allowed to do that any more, its (the same for) the others as well."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced