Webber seeks perfection to outqualify Vettel
Sydney: Australia`s Mark Webber thinks he will need an "inch perfect" lap to outqualify his team mate Sebastian Vettel and give himself a chance of a second successive Spanish Grand Prix victory later this month.
World champion Vettel, 23, has claimed pole in the first four races of the season so far, capitalising on his advantage to win three of them and open up a 34-point lead in the title race.
Webber, who is third in the drivers` standings behind McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton, has set the fastest lap in three of the four races but is still seeking his first victory of 2011.
The 34-year-old, who started and finished second in the first Red Bull one-two of the year in Istanbul on Sunday, knows that it will take something special to outdo his German team mate in Barcelona on May 22.
"He`s at the top of his game at the moment and it`s up to me to close the gap," Webber wrote in his column in Sydney`s Daily Telegraph on Tuesday. "To beat Seb in Spain, I`ll have to do a better job than I did in Turkey," he added. "I`ll need to be inch-perfect in qualifying and then have a cleaner first stint in the race than I did in Turkey because that will throw open a few more options in terms of strategy."
The car starting on pole has won the last 10 Spanish Grands Prix -- including last year when Webber pipped Vettel in qualifying -- and the Australian is convinced he is on the right trajectory to clinch his first win of this year.
"I`ve now finished fifth, fourth, third and second in the four races of the year, so the trend is going in the right direction," he wrote.
"We`re off to Barcelona next, which is a track I like a lot. I won there last year and finished third the year before, and we had two good test sessions there over the winter.
"I just need to keep working," he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow