Webber stays calm as team mate Vettel wins gamble
Monza: New Formula One championship leader Mark Webber was already looking forward to the more Red Bull-friendly Singapore track in the next grand prix after trailing home sixth in Italy on Sunday.
The Australian`s car was never likely to threaten at super-fast Monza, where Ferrari`s Fernando Alonso took victory, but the early exit of Lewis Hamilton allowed Webber to leapfrog the Briton and take a five-point lead with five races left.
"I`m sure I`ll be pretty happy when I think about it," the tall Webber told reporters as he balanced the emotions of being the leader against the disappointment of being off race pace.
The Singapore race, next up on Sept. 26, is on a street track which will better suit the Red Bulls` characteristics.
"I think it can be a good race for us for sure," he added.
While Webber was in thoughtful mood, team mate Sebastian Vettel was grinning from ear to ear after the huge gamble of pitting on the last lap paid off.
The German finished fourth at Monza to lie fifth overall, 24 points behind Webber in an extremely tight title race.
"It was quite exciting, especially the last lap," he smiled.
"Obviously if it works you are the king, if it doesn`t you are an idiot. Fortunately it worked out today."
This season`s new points system offers 25 points for a race win, meaning Vettel is still very much in the fight.
"This year the points system makes people more nervous and more excited. All we can do is achieve the maximum, which today was fourth," he said.
"We are doing everything we can to win the championship."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP