Welbeck in England squad as Richards returns
London: Striker Danny Welbeck has been called into the England squad for the first time since March for Wednesday`s friendly against Netherlands while Micah Richards has returned following an injury to first-choice right back Glen Johnson.
There are 11 players from Manchester United and City, who contest the Community Shield on Sunday, in Fabio Capello`s 25-man squad with United reserve Welbeck, 20, included as the fourth striker with Jermain Defoe and Darren Bent missing out.
Welbeck had an impressive debut against Ghana in a friendly at Wembley in March when he was on loan at Sunderland but City`s Richards has struggled to convince Capello of his worth having been a regular under predecessor Steve McClaren.
Three players from the second tier Championship have also been called up for the match with West Ham United midfielder Scott Parker and goalkeeper Robert Green having so far failed to secure top-flight moves following the club`s relegation.
Goalkeeper David Stockdale is also playing in the Championship on loan at Ipswich Town from Premier League Fulham.
Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard misses out through injury along with club mate Johnson who picked up a thigh strain in a pre-season friendly against Valencia on Saturday.
There is no place for Tottenham Hotspur winger Aaron Lennon but Arsenal`s Jack Wilshere is included despite picking up a knock in a pre-season friendly.
The Wembley encounter against the World Cup runners-up is a warm-up for September`s Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales for Group G leaders England, whose top flight players have yet to play a competitive game this term.
Goalkeepers: Robert Green, Joe Hart, David Stockdale
Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, John Terry, Kyle Walker
Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Stewart Downing, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young
Strikers: Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!