Welbeck in England squad as Richards returns
London: Striker Danny Welbeck has been called into the England squad for the first time since March for Wednesday`s friendly against Netherlands while Micah Richards has returned following an injury to first-choice right back Glen Johnson.
There are 11 players from Manchester United and City, who contest the Community Shield on Sunday, in Fabio Capello`s 25-man squad with United reserve Welbeck, 20, included as the fourth striker with Jermain Defoe and Darren Bent missing out.
Welbeck had an impressive debut against Ghana in a friendly at Wembley in March when he was on loan at Sunderland but City`s Richards has struggled to convince Capello of his worth having been a regular under predecessor Steve McClaren.
Three players from the second tier Championship have also been called up for the match with West Ham United midfielder Scott Parker and goalkeeper Robert Green having so far failed to secure top-flight moves following the club`s relegation.
Goalkeeper David Stockdale is also playing in the Championship on loan at Ipswich Town from Premier League Fulham.
Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard misses out through injury along with club mate Johnson who picked up a thigh strain in a pre-season friendly against Valencia on Saturday.
There is no place for Tottenham Hotspur winger Aaron Lennon but Arsenal`s Jack Wilshere is included despite picking up a knock in a pre-season friendly.
The Wembley encounter against the World Cup runners-up is a warm-up for September`s Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales for Group G leaders England, whose top flight players have yet to play a competitive game this term.
Goalkeepers: Robert Green, Joe Hart, David Stockdale
Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, John Terry, Kyle Walker
Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Stewart Downing, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young
Strikers: Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow