Wenger having sleepless nights ahead of new season
Lisbon: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted to having sleepless nights as his team’s season appears to be nearing its end even before kicking off.
Ahead of Arsenal’s match against Benfica, Wenger said he has been trying to keep up the momentum by signing new players, while retaining key stars.
Arsenal played without five of its key players on Friday, including Cesc Fabregas, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere, Samir Nasri and Laurent Koscielny.
According to Wenger, all of them did not play owing to injury except Fabregas.
He clarified that Fabregas is not strike in the wake of mounting suspicions about the seriousness of injury.
"He is not injured. He is coming back from injury and is not ready to play”, a daily quoted Wenger, as saying.
Midfielder Gervinho and defender Carl Jenkinson are so far only new faces in the team.
Wenger said his team could not afford any more injuries and hoped to sign atleast one new face next week.
".. We have had some sleepless nights and we were working non-stop through the summer. The injuries are making things difficult. We start the season next week and then we have a Champions League qualifier. We need to qualify and hopefully we won`t have any more injuries from the international matches. We could be hit hard if we lose any more”, a daily quoted Wenger, as saying.
Wenger expressed confidence in new faces in the team, ahead of Southampton`s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain arrival next week.
"I hope we will have some good news on signing players. Maybe something next week", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark