West Brom sign Irish star Shane Long
London: Republic of Ireland international striker Shane Long became Premier League side West Brom`s sixth signing of the summer when he joined from Championship outfit Reading.
The 24-year-old - scorer of six goals in 21 international appearances - signed a three year contract bringing to an end a successful six year spell at Reading which included a two year stay in the Premier League.
West Brom manager Roy Hodgson said that despite his relative youth Long had enough experience already to go straight into the first team.
"He is a goalscorer and a hard-working player who has a very good attitude to the game," said Hodgson, who enjoyed an up and down season last term being sacked by Liverpool after a miserable short spell there before being hired by West Brom and saving them from relegation.
"The great thing about him is that even though he is still only 24 he has six years` worth of experience of Premier League, Championship and international football and has margin for improvement in his game.
"With the signing of Shane, our squad is looking close to being complete."
Long, who scored 54 goals in 200 appearances for Reading after joining from Cork City in 2005 with a season high 25 last term, could well wrap up Hodgson`s spending.
He joins England goalkeeper Ben Foster, Hungarian Zoltan Gera - who played under Hodgson at Fulham - Billy Jones, Gareth McAuley and Marton Fulop as the new faces.
West Brom start their campaign at home to champions Manchester United on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender