What does the govt notification say?
New Delhi: The Central government on Saturday issued a gazette notification constituting a joint committee headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee to draft an anti-graft Lokpal (ombudsman) Bill. Excerpts from the notification:
"Government of India here by constitutes a joint drafting committee to prepare a draft of the Lokpal Bill. The joint drafting committee will consist of five nominee ministers of the Government of India and five nominees of Anna Hazare, including himself.
The five ministers are Pranab Mukherjee, P Chidambaram, Veerappa Moily, Kapil Sibal and Salman Khursheed.
The five civil society members are Anna Hazare, Justice N Santosh Hegde, Shanti Bhushan, senior advocate, Prashant Bhushan, advocate and Arvind Kejriwal of Parivartan.
The chairperson of the committee is Pranab Mukherjee and co-chairperson Shanti Bhushan, convener Veerappa Moily.
The joint drafting committee will commence its work forthwith and involve its own procedure to prepare the proposed legislation.
The joint drafting committee shall complete its work latest by June 30."
The gazette notification has been signed by VK Bhasin, Secretary of the legislative department of the Law Ministry.
Social reformer Anna Hazare, who sat on a fast-unto-death demanding for a stringent anti-graft law on Tuesday morning, broke his fast on Saturday after the government said it would introduce the Bill in the Monsoon Session of Parliament in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...