When Tendulkar can attend camp why not all sportspersons: HC
New Delhi: A woman wrestler not selected for
Commonwealth Games as she was irregular in training was
refused relief by the Delhi High Court, which said even Sachin
Tendulkar goes through camps before any big cricket series.
Sonika Kaliraman, daughter of late wrestling guru
Chandagi Ram, along with three other wrestlers who had
challenged the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) decision to
drop them from the list of probable players for the CWG,
scheduled from October 3 to October 14, 2010, here.
Dismissing their plea, the court said that "every
sportsperson should follow the procedure".
"Even after hitting so many centuries, Tendulkar has to
attend training camps before any cricket series. If he goes
to camps for training then why cannot you," Justice S
Muralidhar said adding that "every sportsperson should follow
The court said there is no "arbitrariness" on the part
of the Federation in rejecting their participation in the game
as they took the decision on the basis of current form of
"Irrespective of past performances, the Federation is
supposed to select players with good current performance," the
court said while setting aside their contention that they
should have been selected on the basis of their past
Sonika, a well known wrestler had alleged that the
selection procedure adopted by the WFI was unfair.
The wrestler, who has also participated in reality
tv show `Khatron Ke khiladi` with bollywood star Akshay Kumar,
alleged she was not able to participate in the training camp
as she was not well and was in the US.
Earlier, the High Court had issued notices to the Central
Government, the Indian Olympic Association and the Wrestling
Federation of India on the wrestlers` petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test