Whip me in public, says ex- Malaysian model
Kuala Lumpur: A distraught and repentant former Malaysian model, who was convicted for drinking beer at a nightclub, wants to be publicly whipped with her family members watching.
Set to be the first woman to be punished for violating the country`s law that forbids liquor consumption in public, Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarnor is also hoping for media coverage, Harian Metro newspaper reported on Friday.
A court last month ordered that she be whipped six times for consuming alcohol.
She was quoted as saying that she wanted the punishment to be carried out in public to serve as a lesson to others who consume alcohol.
The 32-year-old said she wanted her family to be allowed to watch it, adding: "I hope the media will be allowed to cover it as well. I`ve brought shame to my family despite having received religious teachings from my parents since young. I hope the punishment will bring me back to the right path."
She said she did not regret her decision not to appeal despite her husband`s persuasion, preferring to treat the entire episode as a challenge from God.
She was also quoted as saying she was mentally and physically prepared for the punishment, The Star said Friday.
However, her husband Muhammad Afandin Amir, 38, is worried about his wife`s health as the punishment would possibly be carried out during the month of Ramadan.
However, he said: "I respect the court`s decision."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi