Why kids see a bear or a dog when they see a cloud
London: A new study by Brit scientist has found that children do not see objects in a fully grown-up way until the age of 13.
While adult brains can assume that light comes from above when they have to judge whether shaded images are convex or concave, young children have to learn this ability, reports New Scientist.
Jim Stone at the University of Sheffield, UK, showed embossed shapes such as squares and shaded images such as footprints to 171 children aged from 4 to 10.
Each child was shown 10 images and asked whether they were convex or concave. The "correct" answer assumed an object was lit from above.
The children got better with age, with the average score out of 10 improving by 0.43 each year.
If children of other ages develop at the same rate, Stone predicts that babies will learn to assume that light comes from above at about 21 months.
But this aspect of their visual perception won`t be "fully grown" until the age of 13 or so.
"Children really do see the world differently to adults, inasmuch as their perceptions seem to be more variable," said Stone.
"No wonder they can`t look at a cloud without seeing a dog or a bear," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you