WikiLeaks’ Assange leading Time `Person of the Year` poll
Washington: Julian Assange, founder of whistleblower website WikiLeaks, is leading an online poll by Time magazine for its 2010 "Person of the Year”.
Assange, an Australian who has become a thorn in the side of the Pentagon with his releases of secret US military documents about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, had received 21,736 votes as of Friday.
Fox television talk show host Glenn Beck was next with 20,245 votes.
In third place with 18,500 votes, were Comedy Central comics Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, who attracted more than 200,000 people to the US capital last month for their "Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear”.
Pop sensation Lady Gaga was next, with 18,090 votes, followed by Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan with 13,371 votes.
Others receiving votes in the Time poll were US President Barack Obama, former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, NBA star Lebron James, "The Unemployed American" and "The Chilean Miners”.
Time is to announce its choice in December and its editors are not obliged to select the leading vote-getter in the online poll.
Last year, Time named Federal Reserve Bank chairman Ben Bernanke as its "Person of the Year”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him