WikiLeaks chief living a haunted life
New York: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is living a haunted life fearing arrest and has been on the run following the release of nearly 400,000 secret US military documents related to the Iraq war on his whistleblowing website.
39-year-old Assange checks into hotels under false names, dyes his hair, sleeps on sofas and floors, and uses cash instead of credit cards, often borrowed from friends, said the New York Times, which has interviewed him. The WikiLeaks founder also demands that his loyalists use expensive encrypted cellphones and swaps his own as other men change shirts.
"They called me James Bond of journalism... It got me a lot of fans, and some of them ended up causing me a bit of trouble," he was quoted as saying, expressing concern that UK may act against him if the US decides to prosecute him — an option that is currently being explored.
"By being determined to be on this path, and not to compromise, I`ve wound up in an extraordinary situation ," Assange said.
"When it comes to the point where you occasionally look forward to being in prison on the basis that you might be able to spend a day reading a book, the realisation dawns that perhaps the situation has become a little more stressful than you would like."
On the run again, Assange left Stockholm for Berlin and now is in London, according to the Times, which reported that his bag and three encysted laptops disappeared on the journey from Sweden to Germany.
The WikiLeaks founder also faces rape and molestation accusations by two women in Sweden, where he went to stay due to the country`s strong laws protecting freedom of speech and expression . Assange, however, has maintained that their relations were consensual and blamed a " smear campaign," possibly planned by the US government.
On Friday, his online whistleblower leaked nearly 400,000 secret US documents on the Iraq war detailing accounts of torture, killing of over 66,000 civilians and Iran`s role in the conflict.
Earlier this year, the Australian computer hacker was catapulted into the global spotlight when WikiLeaks released 92,000 secret documents pertaining to the Afghanistan conflict that supported existing suspicions such as Pakistan`s ISI being linked with extremists and extra-judicial killings by US forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark