Wikipedia to open India office soon
Mumbai: Wikipedia, the world`s free online encyclopedia, will shortly be launching an India office -- probably in Mumbai -- besides setting up an India Chapter of the Wiki Foundation, the owners of Wikipedia and its other arms, in Bangalore said.
Wikipedia is one of most visited sites after Google with about 375 million visitors a month.
"We will be launching the Wiki Foundation`s India Chapter in Bangalore shortly and an India office of Wikipedia by early 2011," Wikimedia Foundation chief global development officer Barry Newstead told PTI in an interaction Saturday.
On whether opening an India office involves setting up a server here, he said, "Our servers are based in the US only, and India will have a caching centre to make the site faster."
"We have already registered the India Chapter under the Karnataka Charitable Societies` Act and soon we will be launching this actively," Newstead said further.
On the location of the proposed office, he said, it could be either in Mumbai, New Delhi or in Bangalore as it is yet to be finalised.
Newstead, who left his plum job with the Boston Consultancy Group to join the executive management team of Wikimedia as chief global development officer in June 2010, is here to scout for a national programme director for India and to choose the best city to open the India office.
"I always have a passion for education and knowledge, and hence my decision to make a career working on social issues," is how Newstead described his decision to quit his BCG job and take up this low-paying job.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read